Previously, Internet service providers looked at three particular metrics when assessing the legitimacy of an email sender:
- How dirty the list is: Are a lot of invalid email addresses being targeted?
- Spam complaint volume: How often do subscribers hit the “Spam” button?
- Content: Is the offer spam?
- How many people open an email?
- What percentage of the people who open an email click on the links?
- How many of the emails are forwarded?
This is all the more reason to ensure your email marketing campaign is engaging the subscriber. If your email is generating lower open and click-through rates, revamp your campaign so that it resonates with your audience. If not, be prepared for your emails to end up in the “everything else” part of the inbox with the rest of the emails that go unnoticed and unopened.
John Murphy is president of ReachMail (www.reachmail.net), a provider of email marketing services, solutions and advertising.